What I Really Said

I was going to stay out of this conversation for awhile for various reasons, but I feel that what I said in my previous post about ALA has been misrepresented. Kathleen Gilroy said on the main Bootcamp blog that I “criticized [them] for not providing any value.”

That was not the point of that post. I think the ALA Library 2.0 Bootcamp is important and the work being done there is essential. I never said it did not have value. I would not be working so hard on something that I believed to have no value.

What I did say was that ALA makes things more complicated than it needs to be and that I disliked some of the software choices. I stand by my opinions.

The fact that we are endeavoring to learn online with the world watching will invite criticism, applause, and conversation. That is the nature of the web. Love it. Hate it. But you have to accept it. There it is and that will not change.

Unfortunately, I think I may closely administer comments for this post. But maybe not.

–Jane, percolating

6 thoughts on “What I Really Said

• May 18, 2006 at 2:11 pm

Well, color me struck dumb because I can’t imagine a “training director” lashing out at criticism mid-course–particularly criticism that was directed at the tools, not the people. The thing to do was listen, absorb, fix what was fixable, and move on.

• May 18, 2006 at 3:01 pm

The problem with that is that it actually makes sense. Oh well, best and keep on blogging.

• May 18, 2006 at 3:59 pm

Did I actually mention the Otter Group in my post? I thought I was talking about easily fixable issues with the podcasting implementation in a Bootcamp that purports to be about “LIBRARY 2.0!”

I’m trying to stay out of the public vortex on this one by communicating with Kathleen directly about being misrepresented in her post, but I don’t know if I can contain myself.

• May 18, 2006 at 6:37 pm

I’d like to see this fade away, really; I don’t think it’s been fun for “Jane” or any of us. I’m trying to decide what to do if I wake up to another 800-word comment on my blog…

• May 18, 2006 at 7:00 pm

I’d agree, except that I think Ms. Gilroy owes Jane (at the very least) an apology.

And apologies to KGS and Greg wouldn’t come amiss either.

• May 19, 2006 at 7:05 pm

What Dorothea said.

I’d throw my next comment onto the ALAL2 post, but I just don’t feel like creating another @#$%&* account. The argument for Blogbridge is that it lets you create and share reading lists. Doesn’t Bloglines do that, if you make your subscriptions public?

I thought the criticisms made by you, Karen, Greg (though in truth, I don’t really understand the whole podcast enclosure thing, but I’m quite sure that Greg does), and others were legitimate and on the whole constructive, and I’m sorry that the reaction to them has been, well, reactionary.