Really? More of this?

There has been some hub bub over at Forbes magazine. You can read about it here, here, and here. I, like Walt, will not give them link love for this kind of shit. It is drivel like this that makes me want to sputter incoherent words and wonder why I even try.

The other problem is that it strikes at the fear that many women who work and want to/have kids hide. Can I really do both? Will I be neglecting my family? I grew up in a two earner household and I had a supermom who worked a full day and continued to work all night with little or no help from my dad. It was just the way things were for my family. Mr. Rochester is a partner in every way and we split duties because we would not be married otherwise. We are partners. We share the yoke (and sometimes the yolks).

Regardless, I have angst. I think many women do. What we really need are supportive partners not men who believe they can blame all their problems on women. There are individuals on all areas of the gender spectrum who are guilty of behaving badly in marriage and not giving their children their proper attention, so let’s not pretend that women are the only ones at fault.

–Jane, anything else and I will just be sputtering

6 thoughts on “Really? More of this?

• August 24, 2006 at 10:31 am

Jane, I think the article also may make women who feel like they can’t get everything done to best of their abilities feel guilty and feel like they shouldn’t ask their husbands to pitch in more – and this is so wrong. I also have angst – and I think that most people (men and women) do. Going to school and working full time takes up a great deal of my time – and I know there are times that my husband feels a bit slighted. Sometimes he is right and sometimes he isn’t. There has to be give and take. It takes two to mess things up – something that the author of the article tends to ignore completely.

• August 24, 2006 at 10:58 am

Jane, feel free to sputter. Oh, and don’t read the comment thread, or you might do a lot worse than sputter.

Funny thing: When two people both work full time, they should both be doing some of the chores, ideally either roughly equal or each tending to the ones they’re good at. I don’t think there’s news here, except to people who really don’t see their partner as a partner. Which, apparently, includes a fair number of people–primarily ungrown-up men, sad to say.

I must say, reading the comments at Forbes reminded me of how generally thoughtful and reasonable the library online world is, at least by comparison.

• August 24, 2006 at 11:28 am

Unfortunately, I DID read some of the comment threads at Forbes, until my eyes exploded and I had to quit out of self preservation.

• August 24, 2006 at 11:46 am

The guy who wrote that article also wrote a piece comparing wives to prostitutes. So, basically, he’s a massive tool.

What’s distressing is that a mainstream magazine like Forbes would publish something by such a massive tool. A sure sign that we still have a long road to travel.

Have you seen the posts about this on Boing Boing?

• August 24, 2006 at 2:23 pm

Boing Boing is, as always, hilarious.

• August 26, 2006 at 10:50 am

I thought the article was a parody of the other more earnest and intelligently subtle articles like the NYTimes front-page Sept 20 article, “Many Women at Elite Colleges Set Career Path towards Motherhood.”

As a parody, the Forbes article was 100% brilliant, especially with the accompanying slideshow. I never imagined that it was supposed to be a serious article.