Should I Send This? and other things that make me question my sanity

This post could also be titled: How much I wish listservs would rot in hell and I finally took out my hate in a public manner on a listserv this morning.

I have two grumps about listservs recently, each occurring on different lists:

Grump #1 – If you are having a conversation that has gotten out of control and you have been asked repeatedly to take it off the list, but you continue to go on and post ridiculous tripe that clogs our inboxes, there is a special place for you. One day, I am going to break down and post this or this to that listserv and I will laugh manically, then go have a stiff drink. Those of you currently stuck in this particular microwave with me, can join me at the bar.

Grump #2 – If there is a blog and a listserv and you make me read both but neither content is independent from the other I may have to shoot myself. I am impatient (and apparently today, a bit bitchy) and I do not want to read it all twice. I got it the first time.

Grump 2 resulted in a reply to a listserv that was as terse as this post. *sigh* I called my friend and said, “Should I send this? I think I am being a witch.” She supported me sending it, but maybe I should have asked someone less mouthy then either of us. (note to self: find less mouthy friends) I think the fact that I had to ask should have been my first clue, but I decided to send it anyway.

Some days I do not learn. Some days I willfully ignore the lessons beating against my head.

–Jane, maybe someone will put her on notice

7 thoughts on “Should I Send This? and other things that make me question my sanity

• February 15, 2007 at 12:41 pm

I’ll be there with you, doing shots.

And at least half the fun of you is that you’re mouthy! Ask me next time, and I’ll help add even more snark.

Jason
    adding snark since 1973

• February 15, 2007 at 1:05 pm

I was surprised when I started down the library science path and found out that everyone uses listservs. I remember being horrendously frustrated by listserves (when was that? Oh, right. the 90’s) and unsubscribing all in a huff. Of course, I have had to subscribe to a few, and I feel the old wave of annoyance again. Give me blogs, RSS and forums any day.

• February 15, 2007 at 2:01 pm

Ahem, speaking of listserv hell, did you notice just how many people sent replies to a certain list about “how my library deals with food”? Jeebus, please tell them that NO ONE CARES, except the person who posted the query in the first place!

• February 15, 2007 at 2:38 pm

Jane, Jane, Jane, Jane, Jane.

I can’t be with you all the time to calm the beast inside. Sometimes you just have to let things go. E-mails are easy to delete. And you don’t have to read everything. Just skip it and move on.

The people who post that “tripe” don’t see that they are doing anything wrong. Just like the people who drive in the left lane at the same speed as the car to their right, meanwhile they have a line of 20 cars riding their tale. When you tail them or flash your headlights so that they will get the clue to get over they just think you’re the jerk. Same thing happens when you post retaliatory things yourself.

Just let it go.

Mr. Rochester,
    Sorry about the driving reference, I have been diagnosed with road rage and I just experienced a flashback.

• February 16, 2007 at 7:58 pm

sometimes I like the group responses (when it’s to a question *I* posted). but as for blithering idiots and their protracted arguments, you have my permission. Go make them whimper for mercy.

• February 19, 2007 at 10:42 am

Hear, hear for the mouthy librarians!

I, of course, have never made any snarky remarks on listservs. Or elsewhere

• Pingback:Listserv Rage « Life as I Know It