If Have Bloglines, You Are Probably Not Reading This

Which makes me wonder why I am bothering to write at all.

Like Walt, I have recently discovered that Bloglines is not updating my blog’s feed. I have not been all that wordy lately but I have written a little! Walt says he does not want to switch to Google Reader because they do not have subscription counts. I understand. I do. But I also like to actually read the things my friends and colleagues write. Oh, the days of my adoration of Bloglines seem like a distant memory to me now.

Eventually, Google Reader will have subscription numbers, so they say, and until then, I am maintianing two different aggregators. I read my feeds in Reader but I check the numbers in Bloglines. Voila. Problem solved.

IMNSHO, Reader is far better then Bloglines anyway.

–Jane, may never have been humble

9 thoughts on “If Have Bloglines, You Are Probably Not Reading This

• March 20, 2007 at 10:22 am

I’m doing the same, for now. It’s awkward. I may eventually use GR and reserve Bloglines for investigations and followups (since, for reading purposes, I don’t care how many subscribers a blog has).

• March 20, 2007 at 10:32 am

I read you loud and clear via NetNews Wire Lite. Great feed reader if you have a Macintosh handcuffed to your wrist like I do.

Also, very very soon Bloglines’ subscriber counts will become as suspect as Second Life population figures. How many people have huge subscription lists in Bloglines that no longer actually use the site? Me for one–or two or three, as I think I set up a few demo accounts and imported my OPML file there.

Unless Bloglines periodically weeds out the unused accounts from the stats, the figures will become meaningless in the next six months as Bloglines continues to lose customers to Google Reader and other feed readers.

• March 20, 2007 at 11:54 am

Steve,
    An excellent point that I had not previously considered. How would they know if an account was fallow? I still go into mine often enough but I do not “use” it.

If Google Reader was to have subscription counts as well, I would be counted twice.

• March 20, 2007 at 12:04 pm

I swear, just this morning, I was thinking, “Gee, it seems like Jane hasn’t blogged anything lately. Maybe it’s just my Bloglines account?” And sure enough…

I’m still not completely sold on GR. The last time I tried it, there were some feeds that didn’t update any faster than on Bloglines. In fact, some feeds didn’t update at all on GR but they did on Bloglines. This deserves more thought and experimentation on my part.

• March 20, 2007 at 4:13 pm

GR does provide subscription stats to Feedburner, so I’m not sure why you can’t see them directly. I was a happy camper when my numbers magically jumped the day GR started reporting to FB.

• March 21, 2007 at 12:46 am

FYI, you just came through on Bloglines. When I opened it up, there were seven items. The earliest post was “Good News!” on March 15 and the latest “Why I Have Hope for ALA” from today.

• March 21, 2007 at 9:51 am

Actually, Feedburner picks up counts from all aggregators–but only the blogger can see Feedburner numbers, as far as I know. (Not at all surprisingly, Bloglines has now given me your posts as well.)

• March 22, 2007 at 11:00 am

Yeah, viewing usage stats in Feedburner is limited to the “owner” of the blog. So not useful in the public sense. Although I do think there is a little FB subscribers counter you can put on your blog. But GR obviously CAN keep stats and could probably make them public w/o too much trouble like Bloglines does.

• March 23, 2007 at 5:01 pm

I just got you in Bloglines – same experience as Chris. Who knows?!