I Hate Being Right

When the election battles started heating up, I told Mr. Rochester that I did not want Bush to be re-elected. This came as no surprise, given my previous four years of animosity towards the guy, but I told Mr. R that I was not afraid because of Bush’s lousy policies on education, economics, and civil liberties. I was convinced that, should Bush win, He would drag us into another war that his righteousness led him to believe we had a right and duty to undertake. I believed Iran would be next. It turns out, along with thousands of other paranoids, I was right. I am sorry to say that I am, but I admit that I am not surprised. Here is Slate’s roundup of the news on Iran.

The BBC polled 21 countries to find how the people there viewed the US and Bush. Unsurprisingly, 58% believed that Bush’s re-election has made the world more dangerous. It is obvious that the rest of the world does not think that we play well with others and they are right.

–Jane, thinks the government should be sent to time-out

6 thoughts on “I Hate Being Right

• January 19, 2005 at 2:46 pm

Oh Please! Give me a break. You don’t hate being right.

You should have titled this post, “I love saying ‘I told you so.'”

Mr. R, keeping you in-line

• January 19, 2005 at 3:02 pm

Oooh, this argument reminds me of my stepmother, who is one of those people who’s always right. At Christmas she said of her estranged (and dead) brother “there was no arguing with him–he was always right!” I had to stop myself from snorting.

• January 19, 2005 at 4:48 pm

Well, unfortunately, Mr. R is usually right about things, anything in general. Thus, whenever he is wrong and I am right, I must LORD IT OVER HIM. Mature. I know. I like to think I am usually more right regarding politics and literature simply because I pay more attention, but he is a smart cookie himself.

• January 19, 2005 at 5:14 pm

This post has been removed by the author.

• January 20, 2005 at 12:48 pm

“..58% believed that Bush’s re-election has made the world more dangerous..”

And about 10% of the world actually has an education and a clue…so that’s not to shabby…

• January 20, 2005 at 1:42 pm

Ahhh, ethnocentrism rears its head.