Does IT Speak Klingon or Is It Just Me?

I know that many, many technology problems can be summed up by the following:

• User Error
  • Handy ReBoot

However, I am not an idiot when it comes to technology. I know that sometimes I just can not figure something out or I mucked something up. I am always willing to admit that I am at fault, but I know to reboot and retrace my steps. I thought my IT guys knew this about me, but they still tell me to reboot no matter what problem I pose to them. Problem with the internet? Reboot. Printer redirecting for no reason? Reboot. World War Three pending? Reboot.

Is it laziness on their part because they do not want to come to my office or a belief that anyone outside of their department is a computer idiot? Maybe it is a combination of both.

Hey guys. I already rebooted before I sent in the Help Desk ticket. I would not ask you for help if it was something simple like that so just come look at my machine and stop screwing around. Ok?

I think this is endemic of the disconnect between IT, within or without, and the library. Sometimes we seem to be speaking the same language and then suddenly, one group starts speaking Klingon and everything goes all to hell.

–Jane, borghel

8 thoughts on “Does IT Speak Klingon or Is It Just Me?

• May 25, 2006 at 11:10 am

I think it is simply their auto-reply.

• May 25, 2006 at 12:13 pm

In all fairness, it’s remarkable how many people DON’T reboot before calling IT, and how magical that reboot is on a Windows-based PC. You are a smart person who will exhaust all avenues before calling IT. There are some people who have trouble understanding that the person staring at a server screen in a back room may be doing real work, and isn’t just waiting around to help restore their Windows taskbar for the umpteenth time.

When I call Dell and they tell me to reboot, I just reboot, even if I rebooted eighteen times before calling. It gives us time to chat about things and get cozy.

It could be they are blowing you off–but it could also be that they’ve established this procedure to serve everyone better. Just a thought!

• May 25, 2006 at 1:07 pm

Oh, I know that they are actually working. I do love out IT guys. I do. I was just having a “moment.”

Still waiting on them though… I wonder if I set a cerfully designed trap…

• May 25, 2006 at 1:23 pm

No, no, you’re right – it IS a general laziness (don’t we all suffer from it?) AND the assumption that everyone outside of IT is totally ignorant of computers. “If they aren’t ignorant of computers, then why are they not working in IT?” seems to be the train of thought.

• May 25, 2006 at 5:54 pm

Tell them you hope they come soon before all the freshly-baked chocolate chip cookies are gone…

• May 26, 2006 at 11:29 am

No one gets more frustrated with IT than me. I will never get over the fact that they have taken away all administrative privelages from me. I take satisfaction in flooding them with support calls hoping that they learn by taking away my responsibility that they have added it onto themselves and increased their own work load.

That being said, I understand where they come from. I work at NASA. These people are literally rocket scientists. Yet you would be amazed at the trouble some of these old folks have just trying to enter a number into an Excel worksheet. It is best for them to assume ignorance first. But I would wish that you could earn trust and privelages over time with proven knowledge.

• May 26, 2006 at 3:44 pm

Of course, now it is magically working. Grr Arg!

• Pingback:Life as I Know It