I Am Not With Them

At Your Own Risk

Originally uploaded by Wandering Eyre.

Or

Why some Americans should have to take a test before leaving the country lest we let them out and other people become subjected to their idiocy

Overheard at Villa Caletas, Costa Rica while watching the sunset:

Woman 1 to couple next to her: We met some people from Cuba the other day. I did not think they were allowed to leave their country!

Later on in the conversation

Woman 1: Do they have lobsters down here?
Man 1 (her husband): Yeah, but they are only the ones with tails. They are not like the ones from Maine that have claws.

Seriously. This was not made up. The rest of their conversation was just as bad, but I had to stop listening for fear that my ears might explode.

So if you want a lobster with claws, be sure to get the Maine lobster. If the tails are what you like, Tico lobster will do.

6 thoughts on “I Am Not With Them

• August 17, 2006 at 7:20 am

I will breed the Maine lobster and Tico lobster, to create a super lobster with both claws and tail! Mwuah ha ha ha ha ha!

Because such a creature does not yet exist, obviously.

• August 17, 2006 at 8:23 am

I hate to say this, but I hear stuff like this from Americans in the States all the time. Anything from in which part of Mexico is Puerto Rico to how long does it take to drive there. You name the “not so bright” remark (to keep things polite), and I have heard it, so your narrative is not that surprising. Here’s to hoping your ears don’t implode. Enjoy the trek. Best, and keep on blogging.

• August 17, 2006 at 9:15 am

Hey, the LII in their most recent update just featured two items about lobsters, one an international species catalog, and the other a link to the Lobster Institute (lobsterinstitute.org). It may just be what those folks may need so they are reassured they get the “right” lobster with the claws. Best, and keep on blogging.

• August 17, 2006 at 5:50 pm

Actually there are lobsters down this way (Florida) that don’t have big claws like Maine lobsters do.

• August 19, 2006 at 11:34 am

Actually, we at LII should add items on spiny and rock lobsters, as well as crawfish, because these creatures are often called “lobsters” and are indeed lobster-like animals without claws. So these people may actually be operating on fairly good information…

Karen (who thought alligators were green before she visited Wakulla Springs)

• August 19, 2006 at 11:40 am

Oh, and travel abroad is restricted for Cuban dissidents and for workers in some job fields.