Dork, Knowing you are one

This first step is admitting you have a dork problem. For example:

Today, at a table outside the library at which we were handing out pens, calendars, and water to students on their first day of class, our organizer noticed were out of pens and she started pulling out more pens out of a bag, as if by magic. I commented, “Wow, it is like you very own bag of holding.”

My mouth froze in horror. My inner dork was revealed! Then, one of the guys at the table smiled at me in understanding. We had a conversation about how cool it would be if we really could have a bag of holding and what we would like to put in said bag.

–Jane, maybe a few bottles of Sauvignon Blanc?

7 thoughts on “Dork, Knowing you are one

• August 22, 2006 at 6:23 am

Hey, you botched your “Hide Dorkiness” roll. I do it all the time.

Like, er, right now.

• August 23, 2006 at 5:08 pm

I did something similar last week, except I mentioned how nice it would be to have Tenser’s Floating Disk!

But I strongly believe the word is not dork, but geek. I have a whole theory on the Cafeteria System for Determining if You Are a Geek…

• August 24, 2006 at 8:31 am

Theory? Please share. And yes, geek would have been a better word choice.

• August 24, 2006 at 10:59 am

Tenser’s Floating Disk! Wow, does that take me back.

I don’t think my RPG geekiness usually comes out at work that much (although I don’t hide the fact that I play RPGs). My geekiness for superhero comics, however, is in full effect much of the time.

But I’m pretty much in favor of everyone letting their freak flag fly.

• August 24, 2006 at 9:12 pm

Lorena’s Cafeteria Plan Theory of Geekiness:

You meet at least 4 of these criteria (huge intensity is weighted for two): Board games, especially war or railroad games; role-playing games; live-action role playing; comics/graphic novels (reading or writing); video games; computer coding; video/audio equipment jonesing; computer hardware expertise; SF/fantasy reading or writing;…YOUR SUGGESTIONS HERE.

Note: You don’t have to be doing all of them at the same time or same time in your life, but it helps.

I have found this to be a very good decision rule for true geekdom.

I’m a huge comic geek! My husband writes reference book entries for Marvel, and I get to proof them for him – life is good! I love it that so many librarians are comics junkies…

• August 28, 2006 at 3:01 pm

Had to share: when my wife got up before me this past Saturday, she shook me and said “time to get up!”

My half-coherent sleepy response? “I roll to disbelieve.”

🙂